There is a famous Chinese dish called “炒三菌” which is a stir-fry of three types of Chinese mushrooms – oyster mushrooms (蘑菇), dried shiitake (香菇) and wood-ears (木耳). As usually, we interpreted the recipe to something else… But it is one of my favorite dishes so I thought I would share anyways ^.^ So here is our version of Mushroom Medley Stir-Fry.
- 3 packages of mushrooms
- 2 green onion
- 2 tablespoons of Oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon of cooking wine
- Cooking oil – peanut/vegetable
- Chop green onion into small slices.
- Cut mushrooms into roughly 1 inch pieces . If you bought clumps of mushrooms, be sure to remove the roots of the mushroom which is not edible.
- Blanch the clean mushroom in boiling water for 1-2 minutes. Mushroom should shrink in size.
- Heat up oil in pan
- Stir in blanched mushrooms and stir fry for 2 minutes
- Add in oyster sauce and stir fry for 30 seconds
- Add in cooking wine
- Stir in green onions and serve.
- You can use any type of mushroom. We tried with lots and lots and these ones are our favorites. (Honestly I would make it with all oyster mushrooms… but I was overruled.)
- You don’t actually need to use different kinds of mushrooms either! ^.~
- It is important however you “blanch” the mushrooms in boiling water. The reason for this step is that you a lot of moisture of the mushroom. If you skip this step, dish will be very watery and you wouldn’t get the nice flavor coating. (Alternative, you can roast the mushroom to retain flavor.)
- As you can see, the ingredients are pretty simple (mushrooms) so it should be vegetarian, EXCEPT I think the oyster sauce contains some seafood. If you want to be 100% vegetarian, use teriyaki sauce in place of oyster sauce. (Or make your own sauce with 2 tbs of soy sauce and 1 tbs of sugar)